Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Ryan's story

Please pray for my nephew, Ryan Overstreet, who was first told 9/6/07 he has small cell lung cancer. Then, they aren't sure if the egg size mass is in the lung or on it. He was recently told surgery might result in entire lung having to be removed because of the location of the tumor. They have opted for chemo and radiation.

Ryan is 35 years old. He and wife, Cindy, have two children. Son, Hayden, will be 7 in Nov. & just started first grade. Daughter, Kendall, will be 3 in Dec.

Here is link to Ryan's MySpace

This post contains several blog entries from Ryan's MySpace. Read from bottom up.
Lillian


Email from Ryan's mother 10/9/07:

Jack just left to pick Ryan up and take him into Portland for his first chemo today-------7 hours worth---------I feel so bad for him-------- I can only imagine--------he will then have sessions on wednesday and thursday also-------we will know more today what the exact schedule will be---------


From Ryan's MySpace on 9/26/07:
GREAT NEWS!!!!

Well, after an extensive round of testing with all different types of dyes, solutions, nuclear scans, MRI's and everything else (GOD help me if I ever have another MRI) My cancer HAS NOT SPREAD ANY WHERE ELSE! THANK GOD!

MY family was so relieved!

Please allow me this opportunity to thank all of my family and friends, all of whom have been a wonderful source of support through all of this. With out all of you I would not be able to make this journey. MY thanks and sincere gratitude to all of you.

I love all of you

Ryan


Ryan's MySpace blog 9/22/07:

Cancer Update
Current mood: thankful

Well, yesterday was a VERY busy day.

I got 2 of my 3 tests done yesterday. I had the MRI of my brain done (yes I did have a brain), and let me tell you that was the absolute WORST 45 minutes of my entire life. GOOD GOD! I was feeling great until the MRI machine started banging, clanging and making all sorts of strange noises (almost like a jet engine was going to explode, not fun). I think I would have rather had a colonoscopy (at least I would have been asleep for that). I already told daddy that IF I have to have another one, someone WILL take me and I WILL get my butt knocked out for it. I DONT CARE!!! GIMME the top shelf drugs next time....LOL!!!

The second test was done on the other side of town (of course) and I had to drink the most wonderful concoction called BARIUM SULFATE. Let me tell you, it is yummy (cough, puke, choke). Then just before going into the CT scanner, I had to have yet ANOTHER IV line. They injected this stuff in to me that made me feel like I was going through menopause (yes, menopause). I got the hot flashes, felt all hot and sultry (even made me feel like I peed my pants, thank GOD that was not the case!!!).

So with all the drugs, and IV contrast meds yesterday I was lit up like an ATOM BOMB (not literally). At least I can make light of this situation and deal with it accordingly. Laughter really is the best medicine (next to PRAYER).

Thank you all for your thoughts, concerns and prayers. With out my family and friends, I would not be able to continue this journey through this part of my life.

Love to all!!!

Ryan


Ryan's blog 9/21/07:

More Testing
Current mood: cranky

I met with my Oncologist yesterday. He has ordered another battery of tests to ensure the cancer has not spread any where else. He did say there was hope of a complete recovery, but that we needed these tests to make an absolute determination for treatment.

Additionally, I will be meeting with my surgeon to go over in depth with me, all of the reports as far my scans, blood work and everything to confirm if surgery is an option. I need to have all my cards on the table before I make my treatment decision.

So that's about it for now. MORE TESTS!

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's thoughts, concerns and prayers. It is very comforting to know that so many people care. I love you all!

Ryan


No comments: