Tuesday, June 5, 2007

One day after surgery

Technology is great! Here I sit in Earl's room, updating this blog. Signal is "low" but think it will work ok.

Earl spent the night in ICU. Didn't get much sleep. Lot of commotion in the cubicle next to him. They were also checking on him thru the night. When the nurse called me around 8 a.m. they had him up sitting in a chair. Had helped him walk about 10 feet and back to the chair.

By the time I got to hosp around noon (visiting hrs 11 - 8 daily) they had moved him to a room. The phone number to him is 215-(deleted). Address should be (deleted).
He just got back into bed after sitting in a chair for over two hours. Had to have some help, but did ok.

Overall, I was glad to see him sitting up in the chair when I came in. He looks better than I expected. He still has the epidural and the pain button. Will have the tube in his nose to drain and deflate his stomach until Thursday or Friday. No liquids/food by mouth until the tube is out. Sponge on a stick to moisten mouth with water when needed.

He has been playing with the Solitaire game I brought this morning. Already beat Sol. Asked me to bring a couple of Smithsonian magazines from the car for him to read later. He's alert and seems to be feeling pretty good as long as he doesn't have to cough and move much.

After a short nap, he's been up and walked to the door of his room and back to sit in a chair again. About 60 ft. round trip! He'll probably be walking the hall in a day or so.

The covering over his incision came off this morning. The staples run from right below the breast bone to right below his navel. Funny.... the incision curves a circle around his navel. He'll have a cute curvy tail at the end of his scar!

He is up to 1000 and 1500 on the breathing gizmo. Don't know if that's good or not. I don't know what I could do....

Dr. Watson was just in and basically went over with Earl what he had told me yesterday. The medication he will be on for about a year is an antacid. There is something else he'll take for about a month, but neither of us can remember what that was! Guess we're going to have to start taking notes!!

Dr W said they have done six Whipples here already this week. Busy place! I found out yesterday, from reading some of the displays, that this was the very first cancer hospital. Started back in 1904, they been fighting cancer for over 100 years.

As Pat reported yesterday, it was a grand surprise to have Brother Cummings here with us. Such a blessing! I enjoyed our conversations while Earl was in surgery. It sure helped pass the time. "Thank you" Brother Glenn for taking the time, during your busy schedule, to make the trip. Thanks also, to the church for supporting him and allowing him to come. A special "thank you" to all who contributed to the financial gift Bro. Glenn brought to us. We love you and appreciate, so much, what you have done for us. We are so touched by your generosity and the love we feel from all of you. (Here I am.... crying again!) Thank you so much! We have such a wonderful church family, Sunday School Class and Pastor.

I also have a wonderful ETHRA family. I thank all of you for your love and support during this very difficult time. It's great to know you are all there praying and cheering us on.

We are so thankful, first to God who has been so good to us, and to everyone, everywhere, who have been praying for Earl and me. We know he has been on prayer lists all over the country. We can't forget Earl's clients either. You have been so generous with your prayers and patience in allowing extensions. Earl is already talking about getting back home and getting back to work!

Last, but dearest, is our families. We love you and appreciate your willingness to help with just anything that needs to be done. We love each and every one of you so very much. Just knowing you are there, if we need you, is such a comfort.

If I've forgotten to thank anyone, I apologize. Just know that we do appreciate what everyone has done. It is so humbling to really learn how much everyone cares.

And the news, yesterday, that Thomas Bright does not have cancer again is the most wonderful news to receive on the stressful day of Earl's surgery. He has been thru a very difficult month of tests and procedures. At least, we can stop worrying about that! (Thomas is married to my sister's daughter, Stacie. He has had three rounds of melanoma. It's been four years since his last surgery. Craig Carlson married them at MABC.)

I'm sorry I have rattled on so long with all this. I just have so much to be thankful for and probably not saying it very well. So, I'm going to hush for now and go look for something to eat. I missed lunch today!

With love and gratitude,
Lillian Trentham Lancaster

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear all the upbeat news! No, I don't think you prattled on too long at all. I'm also so happy to know that Thomas is doing well, too.Having good company always helps pass the time.
As always you're in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for the technology and your wonderful news. The following wanted to send word that they have you in their thoughts and prayers: Von (post office), Gene Collins, Bob Melton and Jack King.

Love & prayers.
Kay T