Thursday, June 21, 2007

We're on the road again!

We were supposed to call Dr. Watson on Friday to discuss heading home. About 3 p.m. Thursday Earl had had about all he could stand of the apartment, the twin bed, the couch and the recliner!

Every time I woke up Wed. night he was in a different place. He was playing musical beds.... he'd be in the bed, then the couch, then the bed, then the recliner and back to the bed. I don't know how much he actually slept, but he couldn't have rested much. I know I didn't just checking on him.

Since we didn't have an actual appointment on Friday, I suggested he go ahead and call the Dr. and just see what he would say. Earl has been doing fine since getting out of the hosp on Tues. When he discussed this with the Dr. today the Dr. did ask him if he was already half way home and just calling. Earl told him "No, we're just about a block from the hospital". Which we were.... Earl had demanded that I take him away from the apt. so we had driven to a park that is across from the hospital. He walked around some and sat in the sun. He just enjoyed being outside for a little while. We were at the park when Earl called Dr. Watson.

Dr. Watson finally told Earl he could go home. Earl said "Let's go home"! We went back to the apt. and started packing. In about two hours, we had packed up three weeks worth of stuff and loaded it all into the car. We had to take the key to the hosp, gas up the car, get Earl a bite to eat and by 7 p.m. we hit the road.

We made it to Harrisburg, Pa. and stopped for the night. Earl is really tired. Went straight to bed. We'll take it easy in the morning. We are to meet Mike and C. A. (my brother and his wife) in Chambersburg, Pa. mid morning. They are in Gettysburg, Pa. tonight. After we meet them, we'll head on down the road.

We will probably spend another night on the road and get home some time Saturday.

It will be so good to be back home. This has, undoubtedly, been the longest three weeks of our lives!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
I am being anonymous because I cannot remember my password. I don't do a lot of Blogging. A Hint -next door neighbors for more than a decade. Second hint, The girls send their love, you have our prayers always.
If your schedule held, you should be headed home tomorrow. I will NOT be calling you because you need some rest. I have joined a small Methodist church (Green Meadow) The relevance is that you are on their prayer list and on Sunday I will pass along your news so that our prayers can keep pace with your recovery. This is just a reminder (excuse the shouting) I AM STILL READY TO HELP WITH OR DO ANY TAXES THAT YOU HAVE FILED EXTENSIONS ON. I use Tax Wise which is the IRS program and any other program pales by (Intuit?)comparison. You let me know when Kay can teach me the software and I will be ready to start. Yes I have my PTIN and certification. My love to both of you and also to Liana and your family. Remember three things - first - I am just down the road if you need an errand or something, second - I am leaving it to you to call me as you feel up to it, but will very concerned if you don't call, and third - Most Important - God is watching over you and has been for some time. How else do you explain a librarian landing in a tax office? He works miracles, so stop reading and thank Him for the miracle that we all know he is working for you. He has been doing the prep work for your recovery for at least 18 months before you thought something was wrong. God doesn't waste His energy. You are going to get well. Still, you will get well a lot faster if we can smuggle in some games and some fun movies. A good laugh is good medicine.
May God hold you all close, comfort your fear, give you all the support you need, and minister to you through His healing and and through the prayers and help of your many friends and neighbors .
God Bless You,
Mary Ann