Sunday, June 24, 2007

We're home!

Enjoying the sunshine and freedom of outdoors!
6/21/07

Me watching him walk off on his own... (not hovering!)

Parting ways in Bulls Gap with my brother, Mike, and his cushy ride!
"Thank you, Little B" for meeting us in Chambersburg, Pa.

See more photos here:
Click on "slideshow" at top right of screen
or click on any thumbnail photo to enlarge.


We did finally make it back home today. Such a relief!

We are so thankful for a safe trip back home. We were so warmly greeted by family and a stack of mail that included several cards.

The most surprising, I guess, was one signed by a lot of Dollywood employees. Earl is a member of the "Dollywood Pin Club" and has become friends with Henry the "Pin Man". It was so nice of Henry to send the card with so many good wishes and signatures from Dollywood employees, who do not even know who Earl is. So many people are praying for Earl! The magnitude of all the prayers and concern for Earl is so humbling for both of us.

As we traveled back down I-81 today I saw a sign near Abingdon, Va. that said "Knoxville 128 miles". I was so tired.... thoughts of "we're almost back in Tennessee" and "Thank you, Lord, for a safe trip" hit me..... next thing I know... I'm crying like a baby! I must have bawled for 15 miles or more. I was in my car alone, following the motor home. So, I just had a good cry. Thankful for that big box of Puffs!

This was the first time I had cried about any of this. I've been so determined to be "strong" for Earl and have managed to get thru the past 3-4 months without breaking down. I guess I have needed to do this! My "how do you spell relief" moment!?

Now, we get a grip and tackle the next phase. Earl's treatments, chemo and radiation, will begin near the end of July. He will certainly need the month of July to regain his strength and some of his weight. He is so weak. He can climb a few steps, but only when he has something to hold on to to help pull himself up. There were seven steps down/up to the apartment and four steps into the motor home. It seemed just about all he could do to manage them. But, he did!

We forgot to take his cane, from his hip replacement days, and had to buy another one in Philly. It sure helps in his walks when he has wobbly moments. I have tried so hard not to "hover" and let him do for himself when he can. He comes so close to falling.... I'm a nervous wreck about the possibility of him falling and breaking something!

He has been so good, from the day after surgery, to walk several times each day as instructed. It may be at a snail's pace, but he's moving and determined to get stronger every day! His attitude is always so positive, too. If attitude has anything to do with his survival.... he WILL beat this!

We also know that it's going to take the prayers, love and support of our families, friends, church family and even the strangers we do not know. This means so much to us and is so very important and appreciated every waking moment!

Words cannot begin to convey how loved we feel! THANK YOU everyone!

THANK YOU, LORD, FOR BRINGING US THIS FAR!

We still have such a long way to go!
Lillian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Earl & Lillian!!

Congrats on being home once again!! Once again my prayers are with you both!!

Marie Vucinovich

Anonymous said...

Guys,
I know you're happy to be back in the TN hills! It's good to see pictures of Stick walking on his own - with something other than a hospital gown on! :-) We are continuing to pray for all of you as you face the days ahead...

Chrissy D.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to know that you are at home and had a safe trip. I have followed your progress, as you know, and will continue to hold you in my thoughts and prayers. I know you are happy to be back in Tenn. Now you can rest a while and enjoy it.

Warmest welcome home,

Wanda (from MySpace)